Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Damn, I already used the "Jellyfish" song

Aw, hell, I'll use it again anyway:

Jellyfish, along you came,
and right away I'm stung.
Sweet words I long to whisper,
But you've paralyzed my tounge.

There are a number of things that I will openly admit to being afraid of (various types of dolls and puppets, heights, shellfish). Now it's time to add Jellyfish to that list.

Growing up in the midwest, the major body of water I've been exposed to is Lake Michigan. Sure, it gets extra seaweed-y in the summer and sometimes there's a smell coming off of it that forces me to shut all my windows, but for the most part is free of terrifying water life. There may be lampreys. Scary, bloodsucking lampreys. But no jellyfish and as such, I never developed a proper fear of them.

Those days are over thanks to a recent post at WTF_Nature. Giant refrigerator-sized jellyfish. If those four words don't terrify you, perhaps the notion of huge colonies of regular-sized jellyfish will do it.

I'm all for letting jellyfish live their squishy stingy invertebrate lives, but this is just... ick.

I highly recommend checking out the giant jellyfish pictures linked in the comments section, and for even more terrifying jellyfish action check out the National Science Foundation's "Jellyfish Gone Wild" page.

No comments: