Sunday, March 2, 2008

All the other blogs are doing it

So, I haven't been even remotely interested in Garfield since I was in the fifth grade. I could barely work up a good rage over the live action movies they put out a few years ago. I have no feelings of nostalgia for the comics, animated series, or once-ubiquitous car window suction cup toy things.

Anyway, I figured that Garfield, much like Scooby Doo, boy bands, and milk, was a relic from my childhood that I could no longer tolerate.

Then, half of the blogs I read at work home in my leisure time started pimping out garfield minus garfield (and look, now I am too!). I tried to resist, but my sense of morbid curiosity got the better of me.


Is it funny? It's better than the original at least. The reworking of the strip as the story of John Arbuckle, existential everyman, works in a weird way. However, the whole thing is strangely unsettling.

Kudos to you, garfield minus garfield author, you've managed to creep me out like a Japanese horror film.

No comments: