Thursday, February 28, 2008

Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

While the previous visit had taken me through a less touristy region, this time I decided to go for the tacky touristy version that had so impressed me as a kid.



I took the cable car from the turnaround at Fisherman's Wharf to Bush & Powell, near the Chinatown gate. From there, I walked up Grant to Broadway, stopping in souvenir shops and taking pictures of whatever amused me.






My Jebus sense was tingling. I saw this display from across the street.




This guy was sitting in front of a bank playing that horn thing. I was loud as hell, and I could hear it from a block away. I took this photo from across the street, but I saw a couple people get all up in his face and snap pictures.


If I recall correctly, I think I saw a few of these shops. I'm still not sure if Blest is supposed to be Blessed or Best.







At the top of Grant, on Broadway, I paused in front of a bakery long enough to notice the ice cream displayed. In the larger image above, you can just make out some of the flavours, like banana, strawberry, green tea, and dragonfruit.


This photo shows just a few of the other flavours for sale. Taro. They had taro ice cream. Naturally I had to go inside.

This place was clearly not a tourist spot, as the menus were completely in Chinese, and the women working the counter spoke heavily-accented English to a white couple in line before addressing me in Chinese. I wish I had found this place earlier, because I would've walked up there every day and gotten a different flavour. The taro was delicious and creamy, and if I hadn't been pigging out on bao and red bean flavoured pastry, I would've gotten a scoop of lychee to go with it.

In its own way, ultra-touristy Chinatown was every bit as enjoyable as slightly-less-touristy Chinatown.

No comments: