Sunday, April 8, 2007

Which Easter candy are you?

You Are Peeps

You're the type that's more likely to play with your food than actually eat it.


Peeps? Yarg. Anyway, actual post:

Xmas is about presents, Halloween is about costumes, and Easter is about candy. At least for me it is. I don’t eat ham, I’m not into Jebus, and rabbits always make me think of The Wicker Man, and that’s just… shudder.

Anyway, no holiday is better for seasonal candy than Easter. My dad was always into Peeps. My mom liked the Robin Egg variety of Whoppers. As a child, Cadbury Cream Eggs were a highly coveted item for my brother and me. The solid chocolate bunnies would go largely ignored as I struggled to choke down a Cream Egg and convince myself that I liked it. The attempted eating of a Cream Egg remains a yearly tradition—thank Jebus for the mini sized ones—but, my current favourite is Cadbury Mini Eggs. Solid milk chocolate eggs in a pastel candy shell. So addictively delicious, I suspect the candy shell is a mixture of powdered sugar and cocaine.

Jelly Belly jelly beans were another mainstay of my Easter basket, and they were always a bit of a crapshoot. Were you getting cherry or cinnamon? Orange or cantoulope? Coconut or buttered popcorn? These days, I just buy a bag of cherry, margarita, toasted marshmallow, and pink grapefruit from the bulk candy aisle at the grocery store. Because of this, they’ve lost their lustre. There’s no thrill when I reach into the bag.

The new candy roulette comes in the form of Russell Stover chocolate eggs. You know, it’s some sort of filling enrobed in milk or dark chocolate. There are a million different flavours, including the non-Russell Stover brand, but similar type eggs. I buy one or two every year, but I can’t remember which ones are the good ones. The problem lies in the filling. They're all called "cream" or "marshmallow", but there's not consistency between brands. Some are actually smooth and creamy, while others are horrible nougat-y crap.

This year, I randomly grabbed three to try: Coconut Cream Egg, Starwberry Cream Egg, & Marshmallow Egg (all from Russell Stover). The results:

Marshmallow – Oh, Jebus Christo, it’s that dense, chewy “marshmallow” kind of center. Yarg. Moving on.

Strawberry – Oooh, dark chocolate. Ewww, gummy grainy nougat. It doesn’t really taste like strawberry. There’s a generic, super-sweet pink taste to it.

Coconut – Dark chocolate again. But, it’s another “cream”. I’m scared. Well, there’s actual coconut in the “cream”, but it’s the same gritty nougat as the strawberry.

I think the coconut was the “best”, as it actually tasted like coconut. However, they were all sort of disgusting. I may scour the post-Easter sales for different brands of cream filled eggs, and see if I can get some of the good ones.

No comments: