Thursday, April 5, 2007

Five for 5: Trader Joe's Food

I have a love/hate relationship with the local Trader Joe's. Unlike the nearby Whole Foods, I actually have to drive to TJ's, and the parking sucks. It's regularly packed with people who, apparently, have never seen food before and stand in the aisles gawking.
Still, I drag my ass over there ever couple weeks to stock up on an assortment of random crap and stuff I actually like. Five favourites from my last trip:

Blueberries Go Nuts Over Candied Pecans – This is the reason why I go back to Trader Joe’s. Dried blueberries, walnuts, almonds, and candied pecans. It’s good on it’s own as a quick snack. But, when I want to pretend I’m healthy, I’ll dump some on a salad with a frou-frou vinagrette dressing. If TJ's ever discontinues this, I will set the building on fire in protest.

Frozen Fettucine Alfredo – Because sometimes I want to give myself coronary artery disease without having to cook or go to a restaurant. I grabbed this, half expecting to get mediocre, bland sauce and overcooked noodles. Not quite. The sauce was okay, if a little bland, but the noodles actually came out al dente. Really, the main selling point for me is the fact that it’s ridiculously easy to make. Seriously: dump it in a pan, cover, turn on low heat, come back later.
There's also a mushroom variety that I haven't tried.

Trader Joe’s Faux Terra Chips – Okay, I don’t remember what they’re actually called, but they’re exactly like real Terra Chips. Seriously. So similar that I think TJ’s just repackages Terra Chips and prices them 30 cents cheaper. I worried that they'd be horrible, but there is no bad here. I like Terra Chips, I like saving 30 cents.

Marcona Almonds with Rosemary – so fatty and oily and delicious. Yet another TJ's product contributing to my future coronary artery bypass. Sweet. Many a night I’ve had a fistful of these with a Diet Coke for dinner. My main complaint is that as you get to the end of the bag, you're mostly left with an oily puddle of rosemary leaves. And they don't taste good.
The non-rosemary variety are also good, and benefit from being available in a smaller size.

Fage Greek Yogurt – I fully expected to hate this stuff, because, really, it’s just plain yogurt. Still, it’s denser and creamier than regular yogurt, and somehow better. The kind that comes with honey is good, but you risk getting one where the honey has crystalized and is no good to no one (unless you're the type of person who's willing to return food, but I'm not). Buy the 2% instead and use your own honey. There’s half the calories & you get a big-ass container for the same price. Lucky for me, this is also sold at (the within walking distance) Whole Foods.

For more Trader Joe's food, check out Trader Joe's Fan.

No comments: