Friday, May 4, 2007

What the hell is wrong with movie people?

I can usually ignore the "news" about craptastic movies in production, but this is just too much. Rush Hour 3? Three? Inarticulate rage!

I don't know who I want to hurt more: New Line for producing this shit; Brett Ratner for directing (and for being Brett Ratner); Chris Tucker & Jackie Chan for taking part in this minstrel show; or, the viewing public for making the first one successful enough to warrant two sequels. Bah, let's just lock them all in a room and let them get torn apart by rabid dogs.

My favourite thing about this comes from the IMDB.com message boards:


China man? I think I'm going to puke my pants. Seriously, people, using terms only employed by my ultra-racist 80-year-old grandmother only undermines your ignorant racist credibility. I've almost gotten used to being called a chink and the "ching chong" thing is a classic (although, alarming coming from anyone over the age of 10), but Chinaman is just weird. Especially since I'm of the female type.

I'm not sure if use of Chinaman is a regional thing, but I blame the movie Crash for its seeming resurgence. That crapfest was the first place I'd heard it used aside from my aforementioned grandmother. Great, so teh kids hear Ludacris saying it and think it's cool for the under-60 crowd.

Kids, Paul Haggis is a hack. He's Canadian, and one of the creators of Walker, Texas Ranger. You can't take his work seriously. Besides, the over-the-top "everyone's a huge raging racist" theme of Crash was indicative of a poorly executed social satire. Right?

Right?

Okay, maybe not. I'm losing track of what's important here: They made a third Rush Hour sequel. As soon as I figure out who's to blame, I'm going to stick a shank in their spine.

No comments: