Sunday, January 6, 2008

Project Runway: Week 6

I caught this on a Sunday afternoon rerun, and I had to choose between PR and a rerun of The Dog Whisperer that I've somehow seen a couple time. Don't you love The Dog Whisperer? He actually does stuff he help people and teach them to live better lives with their pets.

Also, holy fucking shit Futurama is on Comedy Central right now. I can't wait until the TV-ization of the movie airs.

Do you like product placement? Do you? If you don't, then Bravo reality competitions shows aren't for you. Seriously.

Yeah, they're making garments out of shit from a candy shop. It's important to note that this shit includes pillows, t-shirts, and huge rolls or paper wrappers. So, they're not making dresses out of actual candy.

Honestly, I wasn't paying too much attention until the runway show. I did catch the bit where Elisa was talking about her car accident. If I hadn't already known that she was being auf'ed, I would've guessed it from that. Also, Zac Posen is a judge again. Wee.

On to the clothes:

Rami: Come on, MK, it does look silly: It's candy wrappers and plastic. Undoubtedly, it's well made and exquisitely fitted. Not my pick for the win, but I get why they gave it to him.

Elisa: It would've been a perfectly serviceable dress without the crazy water wings. Not the most exciting thing in the world, but it might have slipped by in the middle.

Jillian: She seems to have a thing for red. I have to admire the risk she took, but I don't love the execution. I initially thought it would've been an interesting idea to use the licorice as faux-boning in a corset top. I didn't realize that she was doing the entire bodice in licorice. If it hadn't been so labour-intensive, I would've given her top 3 spot to either Kevin or Christian.

Victorya: Ugh, so goddamn ugly. The ruffles. It just looks so bad. And she paired it with orange shoes? Yeesh, it doesn't even look well made. And that model walk pose was just weird.

Chris: Fucking love it. It uses the logos without making they logo-y. That op-art pattern is fantastic. It's totally chic and the styling is spot-on. I love how the pattern of the top is sort of mirrored in the bracelets she's wearing. I totally picked him to win.

Sweet P: Boring, but inoffensive. I had visceral reactions to some of the designs that didn't get called out, but this just left me cold. I suspect she got stuck being not quite good enough for middle-of-the-pack and suffered for it.

Ricky: Bubble skirt! I can't help but flash back to Andrae's design for the Barbie competition. In fact, I've just come up with this analogy: Ricky:Andrae as Railroad hat:Short shorts. With that out of the way, his garment looks well made, but I think it's ugly.

Kit: It's all too much. The super-logo'ed top and skirt, the styling with the hair and the boots. I guess what separates her and Rami's designs is that the construction of his was actually interesting. The skirt and the top on this one are just blah with ugly-as-fuck candy wrappers.

Kevin: When he said he was making three pieces, I sort of thought the editing monkeys were setting him up for disaster. I should've known. His garment looks impeccable. I love that he gave her a Hershey bar clutch. I wonder if he actually used Rolos for the buttons.

Christian: The dress itself is pretty uninteresting in terms of the sillhouette and the construction, but the peanut butter cup wrappers give it an interesting texture. I really like it.

Next week: More of this bullshit.

No comments: